Lily's kids

Lily's kids

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Beautiful pain


Two weeks ago I met little July. The newest little one in my house. Two years old with big beautiful eyes. Two days ago, I met her elderly grandfather who stopped by to hug and kiss on July. He asked me over and over again to take good care of her because she is the only thing he has left.


Her story breaks my heart. Her mother was raped and gave birth to little July at the age of 12. Two years later, her mother killed herself. And the grandfather brought little July to Casa de Esperanza knowing that he could not care for her the way she needs to be cared for. His love for his granddaughter amazes me. 


Beautiful July is slowly starting to open up. She smiles and laughs more and comes over every few minutes for a hug or a kiss. I love it when she starts singing in her little voice. 

When I look at her my heart breaks. It breaks for the young mother that had no hope. It breaks for the grandfather who gave up who was most precious to him so that she could grow and be safe and cared for. My heart breaks for little July who has gone through so much at such a young age.

But I am reminded of God's love for us in all of the pain and hurt. There is much sin in this world but God is with us in it. We only need to cry out to Him. There is HOPE in Jesus. And life.
Just as July's grandfather gave her up, God also gave up His son. He did it for OUR good. So that we could have life and be safe and be cared for. And that no matter what we go through, we are never alone.

It's painful. It's beautiful.

This life isn't easy. There are things that we cannot understand. But we can trust God with them.

Many blessings from Bolivia. 
~Lily Fluharty


No comments: