Lily's kids

Lily's kids

Friday, October 24, 2014

When they suffer in silence

My heart was very heavy this past weekend. Domestic violence is something that doesn’t have a name here but happens very often. It’s something that is “normal” and swept under the rug. “He won’t hit me again,” they whisper. But then a few minutes later more tears slip down their faces as they let the words slip out, “I can’t do it anymore. I know it will happen again.” 
I have seen it in the street as a woman stood with blood dripping down her face, calling out the name of the man who had left her barefoot and bleeding.
I have heard it as I tried to comfort the friend crying on the other end of the phone after her boyfriend had just beat her up for the first time and left her alone.
I have hugged her after he had hit her in the face and wanted to choke her before telling her to get out of the house. 
It hurts to live in a culture where abuse is common and not addressed. It’s hard to look for grace and forgiveness when the cycle continues. 
“I love him. I just want him to love me.”
“I don’t want my daughters to grow up seeing this.”
I feel helpless in these situations. My heart feels heavy. I want to so much to help and fix things but I can do nothing. I pray. I pour out my heart to God asking for peace and healing. I comfort. Trying to listen and continue pointing to Christ and His perfect plan. This world is hard. But God’s love is stronger and His faithfulness is bigger.
I can’t give these women answers. I can’t fix their problems. I can’t heal their pain.
All I can tell them is God loves them. He see’s every tear. He can heal hearts. 
Please be praying for the women here in Bolivia. Women who are many times stuck in sad cycle of domestic violence and abuse. They have suffered it from parents and relatives and now from boyfriends and husbands. They are hiding in silence but are not alone as the majority of the women I have talked to have experienced this violence. Please pray that God would give them peace and also boldness to stand up for what is right and to stand up for themselves and their children. To go to pastors or go for help. 
Please pray that God would heal these broken relationships and families and the broken hearts. God is a God of healing and of forgiveness and by His stripes we are healed!
In Christ Jesus who wraps us up in His loving arms,
Lily Fluharty


No comments: